One Year Gone

It was about a year ago that my daughter asked me if we could be Vegan.  As a pragmatic single mother, I told her we should look into it.  As a highly intelligent teen, my daughter, Julia, told me she already had.  She then proceeded to show me some websites and started telling me all about what Vegan is and why she wants us to do it.  She was very prepared with her arguments and evidence to back it all up.  It became clear right away that this is something she is passionate about and I've learned never to ignore someones passion for something they believe in.

Almost convinced, I started to look into different foods, recipes, meals and menus that we could incorporate into our lives.  I also researched the dietary needs for a Vegan to be sure we would be getting enough proper nutrition.  As a Diabetic with high blood pressure and stomach trouble I had to be double sure this was a good way for us to go.  It wasn't an easy or quick decision.

The decision was made, though, and I have no regrets.

The changes in our lives have been great.  We're spending more time together making decisions on dishes to make, meal choices and menu plans.  We are eating healthier meals and snacks, and have even given up soda.  We've also started to replace regular household products, like cleaners and toothpaste, with Vegan alternatives.

One of my favorite parts of this lifestyle change is that I'm indulging my inner foodie by researching new recipes and rediscovering some favorites from that time I was a Vegetarian in high school and college.

Not only have I found new recipes, I've discovered new ingredients, and learned many new ways to make an old favorite into a Vegan Delight.  One such triumph is Vegan Macaroni and Cheese, an important staple in any teenagers diet.  It has also been fun to introduce Julia to some of my long time favorites from my Vegetarian days, like Falafel, Hummus, Baba ghanoush and Tabbouleh.

Julia has done some introductions herself.  I would never have cooked with Kale if not for her.  We put it in dishes like soup, stir fry and salad.

One of my favorite new recipes is for homemade Hummus. (http://www.ilovevegan.com/hummus/)  I've made so many dishes in my life, but never, ever have a roasted a head of garlic.  I can now tell you ,with no qualms, that roasting a head of garlic is just about the most wonderful thing to do.  It almost surpasses the joy of making our first Vegan Pumpkin Pie.


Pumpkin Pie is my specialty and our family expects it just about every year at the holidays.  So, it stands to reason that this last year we had to come up with a Vegan version of this family favorite.  A container of Silken Tofu and a Vegan ready made pie crust from Sprouts and we were on our way. (https://wellvegan.com/recipe/pumpkin-pie)

Now, being a Vegan isn't all about food, it's about not using products of and/or from animals.  I learned a lot from Peta.org.  They are not just about animal rights, you can find any and all information about the Vegan lifestyle from recipes to Vegan products.  They post great articles, a blog and calls to action. Check them out first if you want to know more about being a Vegan, animal rights or other related topics.

You'll note that I've posted links to our favorite Vegan and Vegan related blogs or websites.  Feel free to click a link and head over to someone else's site to see what they have to offer.

I'll be posting weekly so please subscribe and join us on our journey.  Leave me a comment, I'd love to hear from you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remaking an Old Favorite

Changing the Seasons - Take One