Changing the Seasons - Take One

Spring has sprung and summer is fast approaching.  Not only am I trying to Spring clean, but I’m also trying to Spring/Summer our meals.  It’s gets pretty hot in a small apartment when you’re always using the stove and oven to prepare food.

If you’re like me, you have some favorite seasonal dishes, like soups in the Fall/Winter and salads in the Spring/Summer.  I love macaroni, potato and egg salads.  My grandmother made the best salads and I’m always trying to replicate those tasty dishes because she didn’t leave any written recipes for them.  Not only do I want to match her flavors, but I now want these dishes to be Vegan. 

From LeafyGreensandMe.com
Macaroni and potato salad are simple to replicate and make Vegan, I just use Vegan mayo and other Vegan ingredients.  However, when it comes to egg salad, one ingredient, integral to the dish, is NOT Vegan.  I wondered and worried if I would ever have my favorite salad again. 

Well, as you can imagine from my previous blogs, I love to research and read recipes.  Naturally, I did some internet searching and found a few ways to make egg-less egg salad.  See the links below to access the recipes I liked best from my search.

The Vegan egg salad recipe I like the best is from LeafyGreensandMe.com, a food blog.  This recipe comes together so easily.  Once you press the tofu, which I highly recommend or you’ll have runny egg salad (gross!), you just mix the remaining ingredients together.  You can serve immediately, but I prefer to let it chill in the fridge for at least an hour. 


Per my usual, I made a few changes to the recipe.  First I left out the Black Salt.  Then I added some Dill, ¼ to ½ tsp, which I always put in my egg salad.  The original recipe also mentions that the authors mother used to put cream cheese in her egg salad.  I’ve never done this and won’t because to me cream cheese doesn’t belong in this dish.  The reason I mention this is to give you the option of reducing the mayo and adding some if you like it that way. 

From LeafyGreensandMe.com
So far my favorite way to have this delicious egg-less salad is stuffed in a half pita with fresh lettuce and tomato.  You can put this on any bread you like and put anything with it you like.  I want to try a toasted sandwich with a piece of Vegan cheese, some roasted red pepper slices, lettuce and tomato.  I’m also thinking of dicing some sub-dried tomato and mixing it in. Other add-ins could include diced sweet onion, diced or shredded carrot and Curry instead of Dill as a seasoning.


From ilovevegan.com

If you can’t have soybean, like several people I know, the recipe from ilovevegan.com is made with Chickpeas/Garbanzos.  I haven’t tried this one but I want to.  We love Garbanzos in my house and make homemade Hummus almost every week.

My lunch bag today had an egg-less egg salad pita with veggies.  I can’t wait to make this again.  Maybe I’ll put in some curry or make it with Garbanzos! 


The links below are for the egg-less egg salad recipes I liked.  Maybe you have a different one.  If you do, please share in the comments.  I’d love to read it and give it a try.  If you’ve made something Vegan and delicious please share in the comments.  Have a great day and stay tuned for more of my Changing the Seasons posts.

LeafyGreensandMe.com

PETA.org

ilovevegan.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remaking an Old Favorite

One Year Gone